Pope Francis Appoints
First Cardinal of Myanmar
Archbishop Charles Maung Bo
The Pope to the new cardinals: “May the people of God always see in us a firm condemnation of injustice and joyful service to the truth”
Vatican City, 14 February 2015 (VIS) – At 11 a.m. today in the Vatican Basilica, Pope Francis celebrated an Ordinary Public Consistory during which he created twenty new cardinals, to whom he imposed the biretta, consigned the ring and assigned the title or diaconate church.
The celebration was also attended by Pope emeritus Benedict XVI, whom Pope Francis embraced upon entering the basilica. He was also greeted by Cardinal Dominique Mamberti, prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura who, as first among the new cardinals, addressed some words of thanks to the Holy Father on behalf of all. “Becoming part of the College of Cardinals places us in a particular way in the history and life of the Church of Rome that – according to St. Ignatius of Antioch’s beautiful phrase – presides in charity. We are invited to come out of ourselves, of our habits and comforts, in order to serve the mission of this Church, aware that this implies having a broader horizon”. Cardinal Jose de Jesus Pimiento was unable to attend on account of his advanced age, and so he will receive the biretta in Colombia.
of Southeast Asia rejoices on the appointment
of the first Cardinal of Myanmar.
Cardinal Charles Maung Bo
We assure you of our prayers as you
take care of your flock in Myanmar
and our sub-region of Southeast Asia.
The CBF-SEA Coordinating Team
Sr. Emma Gunanto, OSU
Ms. Star del Mar, CLFC
Fr. Doms Ramos, SVD
The 20 new cardinals
- Archbishop Dominique Mamberti (France)
- Archbishop Manuel Jose Macario do Nascimento Clemente (Portugal)
- Archbishop Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel (Ethiopia)
- Archbishop John Atcherley Dew (New Zealand)
- Archbishop Edoardo Menichelli (Italy)
- Archbishop Pierre Nguyen Van Nhon (Vietnam)
- Archbishop Alberto Suarez Inda (Mexico)
- Archbishop Charles Maung Bo (Myanmar)
- Archbishop Francis Xavier Kriengsak Kovithavanij (Thailand)
- Archbishop Francesco Montenegro (Italy).
- Archbishop Daniel Fernando Sturla Berhouet (Uruguay)
- Archbishop Ricardo Blazquez Perez (Spain).
- Bishop Jose Luis Lacunza Maestrojuan (Panama)
- Bishop Arlindo Gomes Furtado, (Capo Verde).
- Bishop Soane Patita Paini Mafia (Tonga)
- Archbishop emeritus Jose de Jesus Pimiento Rodríguez (Colombia)*
- Titular Archbishop Luigi De Magistris (Italy)*
- Titular Archbishop Karl-Joseph Rauber (Germany)*
- Archbishop emeritus Luis Hector Villalba (Argentina)*
- Bishop emeritus Julio Duarte Langa (Mozambique)*